[Digikam-devel] Question about video metadata handling

Abhinav Badola mail.abu.to at gmail.com
Sun May 26 16:08:23 BST 2013

Hi Michael,

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Michael G. Hansen <mike at mghansen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> two questions about video metadata handling:
>
> Current schema of VideoMetadata:
> CREATE TABLE VideoMetadata
>                             (imageid INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
>                             aspectRatio TEXT,
>                             audioBitRate TEXT,
>                             audioChannelType TEXT,
>                             audioCompressor TEXT,
>                             duration TEXT,
>                             frameRate TEXT,
>                             exposureProgram INTEGER,
>                             videoCodec TEXT);
>
> 1. Video metadata is stored as text in the database, even things like
> audioBitRate, duration and frameRate. Is this intentional? Can we change it
> to REAL to avoid string-to-real conversions needed for locale-aware display
> of the data and for sorting?

When I created the database it was primarily for the task of displaying
information.
Sure you should change it to REAL or INTEGER, if that is how it would work
best.

> 2. The aspect ratio of videos is also stored in the database, although the
> width and height are also available, which means that the aspect ratio
> could simply be calculated. This information is also displayed twice in
> digikam, once for image properties and once for video properties. Is there
> a special reason to store the aspect ratio like this or can we remove it?

I think it should be removed. It can be computed from width and height. I
added this as we were picking up the data directly from Exiv2 xmp metadata.
Previously it was not being computed within digiKam.
I think it should be removed from Video Properties, but maintained in the
Image Properties.

> Best regards,
>
> Michael

Regards,