[Digikam-devel] Newbie

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 08:06:59 GMT 2013

2013/3/9 Gowtham Ashok <gwty93 at gmail.com>

> Hello DigiKam Developers,
>
> *Introduction*
> *
> I am Gowtham Ashok (IRC:gwty) , a 2nd year CS undergrad at Madras
> Institute of Technology, Chennai,India.
> I would like to be a contributor to digiKam, and possibly do a GSoC
> project on the same[was thinking on the lines of Cloud Integration Export
> Plugin].
> Relevant things I have done:
> -made non-trivial QT C++ application with QT Creator.
> -compiled and run digiKam from anongit source.

About Cloud Export project, i let Smit Mehta to give information and
details.

>  *What I want to do*
> Mr.Caullier suggested me to look at the Small Projects to Introduce
> Students(from digikam-users mailing list).
> I would like to work on removing the internal Clapack Library.
> To my understanding, the Clapack Library is used in the Sharpen filter to
> perform matrix operations.

Exactly. More precisely, Refocus Filter, and only this one :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/entry/libs/dimg/filters/sharp/refocusfilter.cpp

> The problem found was the requirement of an additional library
> Clapack(which depended on Fortran),

yes, originally, but a converted to C version exist and it integrated to
digiKam core here :

https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/show/libs/3rdparty/clapack

> when a better library(Eigen), which used pure C++ Code was available.

Yes, Eigen. Take a care that currently there is also another one named
Atlas, which is conditional to replace clapack if available.

The goal, as you can read in bug-report, is to replace Atlas optional
dependency by Eigen, and remove clapack from digiKam core.

Removing Atlas have been decided because it's a more complex dependency to
manage. It's a huge GUI. Also some part of KDE depend already of Eigen, not
Atlas.

Refocus filter, and only this one must become optional in GUI, if Eigen is
available. Sharp and UnsharpMask filter must be always available in GUI.

Uncomplete Patch already exist in bugzilla. It must be improved, especially
about cmake script to detect and manage Eigen and code to compile
accordingly with dependency results.