[Digikam-devel] Newbie

smit smit.meh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 12:25:22 GMT 2013

Hi Gowtham

Thanks for your interest in digiKam. I have listed all the tasks a student
is expected to do along with the idea only on
http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2013/Ideas. For a detailed discussion, better
mail me privately, so that we dont spam the entire group.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2013/3/9 Gowtham Ashok <gwty93 at gmail.com>
>
>> Hello DigiKam Developers,
>>
>> *Introduction*
>> *
>> *
>> I am Gowtham Ashok (IRC:gwty) , a 2nd year CS undergrad at Madras
>> Institute of Technology, Chennai,India.
>> I would like to be a contributor to digiKam, and possibly do a GSoC
>> project on the same[was thinking on the lines of Cloud Integration Export
>> Plugin].
>> Relevant things I have done:
>> -made non-trivial QT C++ application with QT Creator.
>> -compiled and run digiKam from anongit source.
>>

> About Cloud Export project, i let Smit Mehta to give information and
> details.
>

>>  *What I want to do*
>> Mr.Caullier suggested me to look at the Small Projects to Introduce
>> Students(from digikam-users mailing list).
>> I would like to work on removing the internal Clapack Library.
>> To my understanding, the Clapack Library is used in the Sharpen filter to
>> perform matrix operations.
>>

> Exactly. More precisely, Refocus Filter, and only this one :
>

> https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/entry/libs/dimg/filters/sharp/refocusfilter.cpp
>

>> The problem found was the requirement of an additional library
>> Clapack(which depended on Fortran),
>>

> yes, originally, but a converted to C version exist and it integrated to
> digiKam core here :
>

> https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/graphics/digikam/repository/revisions/master/show/libs/3rdparty/clapack
>

>> when a better library(Eigen), which used pure C++ Code was available.
>>

> Yes, Eigen. Take a care that currently there is also another one named
> Atlas, which is conditional to replace clapack if available.
>
> The goal, as you can read in bug-report, is to replace Atlas optional
> dependency by Eigen, and remove clapack from digiKam core.
>
> Removing Atlas have been decided because it's a more complex dependency to
> manage. It's a huge GUI. Also some part of KDE depend already of Eigen, not
> Atlas.
>
> Refocus filter, and only this one must become optional in GUI, if Eigen is
> available. Sharp and UnsharpMask filter must be always available in GUI.
>
> Uncomplete Patch already exist in bugzilla. It must be improved,
> especially about cmake script to detect and manage Eigen and code to
> compile accordingly with dependency results.
>
> Gilles Caulier

Smit Mehta
Junior year, B.Tech
Computer Science and Engineering