[Digikam-devel] GSoC Introduction: Aniket Handa

Amey Dharwadker ameydhar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:47:14 BST 2012

Hi everyone,

During the Summer of KDE last year, I had implemented HMM face recognition
as a part of the libface library (guided by Alex and Marcel). But the
problem was scaling it by addition of new faces. The model parameters had
to be regenerated every time a new face was added and the parameters
changed accordingly. This is actually not very feasible method.

I have done an extensive study on face detection/recognition algorithms and
also worked on improving the existing face detection algorithms in libface
to make them scale, illumination and pose invariant. I am currently not in
college anymore so cannot apply for GSoC this year. But I would like to
work on the face recognition part with someone as this is a feature that
has the most demand. Any other ideas/algorithms for a scalable and
efficient face recognition algorithm can also be looked into in detail.

Thanks,
Amey