[Digikam-devel] GSoC Introduction: Aniket Handa

Ananta Palani anantapalani at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:36:06 BST 2012

Hi Aniket,

I think you could consider it, but be sure to read papers by other authors
to see if the method is actually as good as the authors describe. Original
authors of a method often show their method to be better than the
competition (otherwise they wouldn't publish!), but if another author
extends a given method, or does a review of all available methods, you can
often discover whether the original claims are justified (you can usually
find reviews / extensions by looking at articles that cite the original
paper).

>From what I remember laplacianfaces is a good algorithm, but is sometimes
inconsistent in its quality. There is also a 2d-laplacianfaces that
performs even better, I believe. I can find the paper if you are interested.

Also, compare the computation time between fisherfaces and laplacianfaces
to help you decide which to implement.

There's also no reason you couldn't implement both methods, if you had time!

Best,
-Ananta