[Digikam-devel] GSoC Introduction: Aniket Handa

Aniket Handa atneik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 21:19:17 BST 2012

Greetings Ananta,

I am constantly searching for a good comparative study on face
recognition which we could actually trust and use. A rather old but
useful one was " Face Recognition: A Literature Survey W. ZHAO, R.
CHELLAPPA, P. J. PHILLIPS, A. ROSENFELD, 2003"(Cited by 3.5k+). It
basically gives a good analysis on HMM, EigenFaces, FisherFaces and
others.

Now, if talk about FisherFaces vs LaplacianFaces; I could not find a
comparison which we should consider blindly. There was one
"Two-dimensional Laplacianfaces method for face recognition by Ben
Niua, Qiang Yangb, Simon Chi Keung Shiua, Sankar Kumar Palc". Here the
authors shows some good memory, time (training + testing) analysis of
FisherFaces, EigenFace and LaplacianFaces with their 2D versions on
some good datasets. But it isn't popular. So, the best idea might be
to give them all (whose codes are available) a quick run and see if
our analysis matchs up with that of papers.

I have uploaded my proposal on google-melange. I request you to give
it a read and put in some comments. Thanks!

Regards,
Aniket