[Digikam-devel] What about a lighttable

Oliver Dörr oliver at doerr-privat.de
Tue Sep 26 20:38:55 BST 2006

Caulier Gilles wrote:
> Le Mardi 26 Septembre 2006 09:07 PM, Oliver Dörr a écrit :
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> i have sometimes similar pictures and try to find the best of  them. A
>> "lighttable" would be very handsome for this job. I think of the
>> following workflow...
>> 1. Open the Lighttable as a small window (perhaps a sidebar)
>> 2. Use drag and drop to put the photos in there (normally 3, 4, 5 or so)
>> 3. Resize the Lighttable to full screen -> the thumbs of all pictures in
>> there will be increased to a size that they all fit in the lighttable
>> 4. I select some of the pictures using the mouse for a closer look and
>> use the wheel on the mouse to increase their size -> this leeds to a
>> smaller size for the pictures that i did'nt have selected (would be
>> really cool, if the unselected pictures move to the border of the window
>> while the selected windows move to the center).
>>
>> This function would make it much easier to compare pictures manually to
>> find the one that i like best.
>>
>> What Do You think of it ?
>> Oliver
>>

> Hi Oliver. How are you (:=)))...

Hi Gilles,

i'm fine and you. Hope you family is well ;-)

> I think there is already a file in B.K.O about this subject... Take a look.

Could be, I even don't know where to look at it...
> Else, why not using a Tags  folder for that. Just tags the image that you want
> to compare, go to this tags folder and press F3 (with 0.9.0-beta2 release of
> course). Reduce sidebar to have a max image size on the screen.
>
> Now change the current image using the mouse wheel. and select the right image
> to remove.

I've just tested it and it will work, but it is not very handy. Tagging
images with digikam could be improved, but the main point is, that it is
not very intuitive to select two of the pictures and make them a bit
larger for a closer look...

Oliver