[Digikam-devel] Experimental : image preview on main interface

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Jun 16 08:16:59 BST 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

> Dnia czwartek, 15 czerwca 2006 00:19, Caulier Gilles napisaƂ:
> > The patch is here :
> >
> > http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/misc.tarballs/preview.patch
>
> Great!

Indeed!

> > - don't use the embedded preview from JPEG/TIFF/PNG files available in
> > Makernote metadata. Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc, record a small preview
> > image in Camera Settings. This is must be used instead to load the whole
> > image. In fact, Exiv2 need to be improved for that. i'm currently
> > working with Andreas about this subject.
>
> Rather not. Preview for JPEG is very small image, useless for purpose of
> this functionality (cannot say about other formats).
>
> This functionality already speeds up loading of single
> image comparing to ImageEditor, and moving between images (JPEGs) is
> slightly faster than in image editor. However quality of zooming(?) is
> lower in this preview, for me this is acceptable.

Maybe one could first display the preview and
in the background (i.e. separate thread, I guess)
load the real thing which is displayed when it is finished.
This would allow to quickly go from one picture to the next
and if one of them is being looked at longer, it is already available
in optimal quality?
(I think I saw something like that in Adobe Bridge?)

BTW, one thing which I miss in digikam is
the pre-loading of the next image for a sequence of images
(this is for example realized in gqview and makes
going through a bunch of images feel very fast).

One could even think of an option to cache the
last N images (and anything related to them).
By this changing between different images back and-forth
(for example to compare their quality) would be very fast ...

Best, Arnd