[Digikam-devel] Experimental : image preview on main interface

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Jun 16 11:07:54 BST 2006

Dnia piątek, 16 czerwca 2006 09:16, Arnd Baecker napisał:

> Maybe one could first display the preview and
> in the background (i.e. separate thread, I guess)
> load the real thing which is displayed when it is finished.
> This would allow to quickly go from one picture to the next
> and if one of them is being looked at longer, it is already available
> in optimal quality?
> (I think I saw something like that in Adobe Bridge?)

This was done previously in Digikam but was removed. AFAIR reason was
that full time of loading of images in both systems (with lower quality
preview and without any preview) was the same - after many
optimisations. But maybe this problem should be revisited. When browsing
through big albums waiting for display of whole thumbnails is
irritating. In many cases I need just to recognize some colors/shapes to
decide if this photo is what I want. I don't need to wait for full
quality thumbnail and can go further.

> BTW, one thing which I miss in digikam is
> the pre-loading of the next image for a sequence of images
> (this is for example realized in gqview and makes
> going through a bunch of images feel very fast).
>
> One could even think of an option to cache the
> last N images (and anything related to them).
> By this changing between different images back and-forth
> (for example to compare their quality) would be very fast ...

I miss it too. Also preloading of thumbnails for album view could be
nice. I remember it was drastically cut down due to performance
issues but IMO it has gone too far. Maybe some option - like in KPDF
- to set use of cache depending on system RAM.

m.