[Digikam-devel] Bugs observed, was Re: [patch SVN 0.9.0] imageeffect_noisereduction.cpp

Peter Heckert lists at hphsite.de
Fri Apr 28 16:49:52 BST 2006

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 10:07 pm, Peter Heckert wrote:
>
>> I have reverted all my modifications and it still crashs. (segmentation
>> fault)
>> Currently I am unable to track this down.
>>
>> Is it possible, that crash comes from floating point errors, such as
>> calling pow(-1,x)?
>>

> I remember a bug into your code when i have backport your implemention in
> digiKam plugins. The probelm is a divide by 0 somewhere.
>
> You have changed :
>
> m_lookaheadInput->setRange(0.5, 10.0, 0.5, true);

> m_lookaheadInput->setRange(0.0, 20.0, 0.01, true);

I changed this to zero, because this makes sense with the new filter
code, which
accepts arbitrary float values for "lookahead". I hope I can send the
improved filter code soon.

This shouldnt cause crashing. Division by zero  doesnt cause crash, it
causes odd results. (This depends on compiler options)
log(0) or sqrt(-1) causes exceptions, so far I know.
NaN values (Not a Number, uninitilized float variables) cause crashes.
Therefore I set all buffers to zero before I use them.

> Check this point...
>
> If you want a backtrace after a crash, run digikam into gdb...

Until now I got the message, that backtrace is of little value. Today I
had more luck.
(Backtrace appended)
Steps to reproduce:
Open image. Size doesnt matter. Open noisereduction. Open 2nd tab. Move
"Color" rubber a little bit to left direction.
If it doesnt crash, move it a little bit more to left.
Reproducibility: 100%

Also I still have another bug:
Steps to reproduce:
Open image. Size doesnt matter. Open noisereduction. Open 2nd tab. Move
"Luminance" rubber a little bit.
Remove mouse, wait until preview is filtered. Put mouse again over the
rubber.
Effect happening: The rubber is  still connected to moue movement, it
has focus without mouse button pressed.
Effect expected:  You know ;-)
Reproducibility: 30%

Another bug:
Progress bar is very narrow. It is only 2-3 mm long on my screen.

I have this problems, since userinterface got the new look. (I liked the
old look more and had no problems with it;-)
Yesterday I downloaded a completely fresh copy from SVN, this didnt cure
the problems.

Would be helpful to know, if other people observe the same effects.
I have made a completely fresh user account; when I invoke digikam from
there, then I get the same effects.
So it shouldnt depend on user preferences.

Possibly it depends on compilation. My compiler is:

gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 20060304 (Red Hat 4.1.0-3)
g++ (GCC) 4.1.0 20060304 (Red Hat 4.1.0-3)

> VERY IMPORTANT : If you change something into option description, please
> change it too into plugin handbook :

Will do this. That means, I dont change another thing in near future,
default settings excepted ;-)

greetings,

Peter