[Digikam-devel] libopenraw to support better RAW files in digiKam ?

Thorsten Schnebeck thorsten.schnebeck at gmx.net
Wed Nov 23 09:18:32 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch 23 November 2005 08:53 schrieb Gilles Caulier:
> Hi all,
Hi Gilles,

> To investigate about RAW files support in digiKam, i had found
> this link :
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2flibopenraw
Hubert Figuiere has a name in unix photo world
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html
so this can be a good approach. OTOH this group has to be somehow
better than Dave Coffin. A lib that supports file decoding,
demosaicing and metatag decoding as an open project would be cool
but in a sense creating and supporting such a lib is a little bit
out of digiKams scope, or? digiKam wants to use such a lib.

Browsing through
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/libopenraw/libopenraw
this seems to be a one person project and there is no usable code.
The problem is, when Dave Coffin does not support such a lib you
have to adjust/recreate the lib again and again with every
release of a new dcraw.c.

Maybe a better alternative can be a KDE wrapper for raw handling.
That way we can collect all the stuff out there now, can use our
own data types, can integrate I18n and if there is a better lib
someday we only have to adjust the wrapper(?)

> The goal of libopenraw is excatly what i want to support better
> RAW files in digikam, especially to get metadata and right
> oriented thumbnails. dcraw do not provide method to do it and
> isn't a library (it's complex to control)
>
> What's do you think about ? there is no libopenraw package by
> default on Mandriva2006. Suse, Debian, RH, provides any
> packages for that ?

I dont think this project has usable code now - maybe in months.
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/libopenraw/libopenraw/tools/dcraw-convert.pl?rev=1.1&view=markup
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/libopenraw/libopenraw/lib/cr2.c?rev=1.1&view=markup

> Thanks in advance for your viewpoint.

Bye