[Digikam-devel] libopenraw to support better RAW files in digiKam ?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at free.fr
Wed Nov 23 09:59:25 GMT 2005

Le Mercredi 23 Novembre 2005 10:18, vous avez écrit :
> Am Mittwoch 23 November 2005 08:53 schrieb Gilles Caulier:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi Gilles,
>
> > To investigate about RAW files support in digiKam, i had found
> > this link :
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2flibopenraw
>
> Hubert Figuiere has a name in unix photo world
> http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

Yes, i now him (:=))). He's a French guy (:=)))

> so this can be a good approach. OTOH this group has to be somehow
> better than Dave Coffin. A lib that supports file decoding,
> demosaicing and metatag decoding as an open project would be cool
> but in a sense creating and supporting such a lib is a little bit
> out of digiKams scope, or? digiKam wants to use such a lib.
>
> Browsing through
> http://cvs.freedesktop.org/libopenraw/libopenraw
> this seems to be a one person project and there is no usable code.
> The problem is, when Dave Coffin does not support such a lib you
> have to adjust/recreate the lib again and again with every
> release of a new dcraw.c.

Yes, i have the same problem in digikam core, because i have started to create
a similar lib using dcraw program.

> Maybe a better alternative can be a KDE wrapper for raw handling.
> That way we can collect all the stuff out there now, can use our
> own data types, can integrate I18n and if there is a better lib
> someday we only have to adjust the wrapper(?)

well, i can use any code parts of libopenraw to improve my current
implementation for example. I'm so suprise that libopenraw isn't updated
since 4 months on repository.

Perhaps you is interresed to help in this task ?