[Digikam-devel] Why I like Kimbada better than Digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at free.fr
Wed Jul 27 14:31:58 BST 2005

Le Mercredi 27 Juillet 2005 02:26 PM, Carsten Niehaus a écrit :
> Hi
>
> First of all: Digikam is great. But for my very specific use of a
> photo-application kimbada is better. I only know Digikam 0.7.1 (and older
> releases) and did not test 0.8-beta-versions.
>
> I will describe my workflow to make it clear why I like kimbada better:
>
> As a teacher of biology and as a nature-freak I like to go out and take
> pics of plants and insects (birds are just to fast ;-). Ok, back home I put
> the pictures into a temporary directory and start kimbada. I go through all
> pics and sort them: a press on "d" adds the token "d" to the picture, the
> "i" stands for improve.
> Now I go to the "d"-tokenized pictures and delete them all. As insects tend
> to move and plants move in the wind I make quite a lot pics to be sure at
> least one is really good. So I remove about half of my pictures.
> Then I go to the "i"-tokenized pictures and improve them. Either with a
> kipi-plugin or in the GIMP. Here is where I would *really* like to have a
> whitebalance improvement-pluging.

DigikamImagePlugins includes it since 0.7.3 release !!!

http://extragear.kde.org/apps/digikamimageplugins/whitebalance.png

More informations about digiKam image editor and Showfoto plugins are here :

http://extragear.kde.org/apps/digikamimageplugins

> Ok, now I have only "good" pictures left, but still completly unsorted. The
> result of my work is that I need to be able to, for example, search
> Caryophylacea-plants (carnation-plants). Or all "real plants" (viri
> plantae) or all plants with semen (Spermatophytae). Therefore I am using
> quite a lot categories. For example, if I shoot a carnation I will give it
> the categorie Caryophylacea. That cat is again in the cat Spermatophytae
> which is in viri-plantae which is in plant. I am doing the same for
> animals.
>
> In the end I have the possiblity to look at all mamels, all ferns and so on
> with only one click. Furthermore, I add categories for places and for
> persons. This is far more advanced as everything what is possible in
> Digicam. But of course, that is exactly what Kimbada is made for :)
>
> I hope you can use this mail to get some inspiration or even to teach me
> wrong (eg. that all this is now also possible in Digikam 0.8).

digiKam 0.8.0 will be very improved. Advanced Searching, Sorting, and Tagging
tools have been added. After to test 0.8.0 from SVN, you will can say that
"digiKam suck Kimdaba" (:=))))...

I have started a screenshots collection about 0.8.0 here :

http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/Digikam_0.8.0_preview/