[Digikam-devel] Why I like Kimbada better than Digikam

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 13:26:24 BST 2005

Hi

First of all: Digikam is great. But for my very specific use of a
photo-application kimbada is better. I only know Digikam 0.7.1 (and older
releases) and did not test 0.8-beta-versions.

I will describe my workflow to make it clear why I like kimbada better:

As a teacher of biology and as a nature-freak I like to go out and take pics
of plants and insects (birds are just to fast ;-). Ok, back home I put the
pictures into a temporary directory and start kimbada. I go through all pics
and sort them: a press on "d" adds the token "d" to the picture, the "i"
stands for improve.
Now I go to the "d"-tokenized pictures and delete them all. As insects tend to
move and plants move in the wind I make quite a lot pics to be sure at least
one is really good. So I remove about half of my pictures.
Then I go to the "i"-tokenized pictures and improve them. Either with a
kipi-plugin or in the GIMP. Here is where I would *really* like to have a
whitebalance improvement-pluging.

Ok, now I have only "good" pictures left, but still completly unsorted. The
result of my work is that I need to be able to, for example, search
Caryophylacea-plants (carnation-plants). Or all "real plants" (viri plantae)
or all plants with semen (Spermatophytae). Therefore I am using quite a lot
categories. For example, if I shoot a carnation I will give it the categorie
Caryophylacea. That cat is again in the cat Spermatophytae which is in
viri-plantae which is in plant. I am doing the same for animals.

In the end I have the possiblity to look at all mamels, all ferns and so on
with only one click. Furthermore, I add categories for places and for
persons. This is far more advanced as everything what is possible in Digicam.
But of course, that is exactly what Kimbada is made for :)

I hope you can use this mail to get some inspiration or even to teach me wrong
(eg. that all this is now also possible in Digikam 0.8).

OTOH my girlfried is using Digicam for private fotos and finds it perfect for
that purposes. And I think she is right, for the "regular use case" digikam
is probably better suited.

Please CC me for answers.

Carsten