[Digikam-devel] First proposal for IPTC interface

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 26 01:26:38 BST 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Heiner Lamprecht wrote:

> Just a question:  If we support XMP and write some data to a PNG
> file, will other application like gimp still be able to read (and
> write) the image without problems?  I don't know, how the fields
> are handled in the PNG format.

yes. the fields are written out to the iTXT header, iirc and gimp and
other apps will just ignore these. very similar to exif/iptc.

>> just to summarize:
>> the different components of the libkexif library will be:
>> EXIF (use libexif)
>> IPTC (native implentation)
>> XMP  (native implementation or Adobe's opensource SDK)
>
> Okay.  Is there any "schedule" for this?  As for me and my amount of
> free time, I think, this would be a bit to much.

no current schedule. we were planning it for 0.8, but decided to shift our
focus towards searching for the 0.8 release. let me try and chalk up a
plan and get back to you on this.

renchi