[Digikam-devel] First proposal for IPTC interface

Heiner Lamprecht heiner at heiner-lamprecht.net
Mon Jul 25 21:15:39 BST 2005

On Monday 25 July 2005 21:56, Renchi Raju wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Heiner Lamprecht wrote:
> > On Monday 25 July 2005 18:44, Renchi Raju wrote:
> > > has there been any change in the issues which i raised my
> > > concern about:
> > > * internationalization support
> >
> > Well, this is quite easy to solve.  I already discussed with
> > Andreas to add gettext support.
>
> that's good to know. if i understand you correctly, the process
> hasn't started yet.

I don't know about the current status.  For the translation, my hope
was to ask the KDE-I18N team, as the number of strings is limited.

> > > * wide spread availability.
>
> i was talking about the availability of exiv2. as far as i know,
> none of the major distributions package exiv2 currently and
> adding a dependency which requires user to fetch sources and
> compile would be a big no-no.

I agree that, whatever the solution will be, we have to take care
that it is available "everywhere".

> > > the other issue is IPTC not supporting hierarchical tags
> > > (as you pointed out) which prevents it becoming the primary
> > > image metadata format.
> >
> > But in opposite to EXIF it supports different types of meta
> > data, like location, ...
> > In addition, I want to store all metadata within the imagefile
> > and don't want to use any external file.  Having the db file is
> > okay as an index for faster searching and filtering.  But in
> > the end, the primary has to be the image.  I don't like the
> > idea to be bound to any specific application.
>
> i don't disagree with you. in fact the proposal that i made
> earlier was to use XMP as the primary image metadata container.
> it supports all of what iptc can do and then some. in addition it
> has support for PNG files, which is critical for us.

Just a question:  If we support XMP and write some data to a PNG
file, will other application like gimp still be able to read (and
write) the image without problems?  I don't know, how the fields
are handled in the PNG format.

> just to summarize:
> the different components of the libkexif library will be:
> EXIF (use libexif)
> IPTC (native implentation)
> XMP  (native implementation or Adobe's opensource SDK)

Okay.  Is there any "schedule" for this?  As for me and my amount of
free time, I think, this would be a bit to much.

    Heiner

--
    heiner at heiner-lamprecht dot net    GnuPG - Key: 9859E373
  Fingerprint:  3770 7947 F917 94EF 8717 BADB 0139 7554 9859 E373