[Digikam-devel] Very large strings in digikam 0.8

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Mon Jul 25 22:03:09 BST 2005

Op maandag 25 juli 2005 22:52, schreef Tina Trillitzsch:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:11:39 +0200, Rinse de Vries
>
> <rinsedevries at kde.nl> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Current trunk version of digikam contains these strings:
> >
> > I think those strings are too large, no one reads warnings this
> > size :o)
> > Is it possible to make the message more brief?
>
> I agree, most people never read messages that long. They are also
> very cryptic.
>
> My suggestions for a briefer and more comprehensible versions of the
> first one is this:
>
> "Images from one of your albums are not on disk anymore.
> Digikam needs to remove this album from your collection to continue,
> but you will also lose all images in that album.
>
> Should Digikam remove the album or exit?\n"

I want to avoid the misunderstanding that an album is going to be removed from
the disk, so it should clearly state is going to be removed from the
database.

It could be as simple as a user forgetting to mount a partition.

If an album gets removed from the database, all images will be removed from
the database.  When that happends all tags to those images get losts.

I want to prevent users filing a bugreport about it saying the warning was
unclear. That is why there is a long warning. People can not claim they did
not see it, actually i think it is good, people get the idea: oops, something
is terribly wrong now. Which is axectly what i want. People should not make a
descision based to get rid of the dialog, They must understand the contents.

I'm not convinced of the proposals untill now.

Tom