[Digikam-devel] First proposal for IPTC interface

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 25 17:44:45 BST 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Heiner Lamprecht wrote:

> I would like to get your feedback and discuss some more question on
> the integration.  So far, I only used a few fields defined in the
> IPTC standard.  For a complete list of tags supported by exiv2, see
> http://home.arcor.de/ahuggel/exiv2/iptc.html

let me backtrack a bit. you had a sent an email earlier that you were
working on this and i was not well at that time and i forgot to reply to
your email later. i apologize for that.

i had raised some issues about exiv2 when we had this discussion earlier:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10586240

has there been any change in the issues which i raised my concern about:
* internationalization support
* wide spread availability.
* iptc becoming an obsolete format with a transition to xmp. additionally
iptc is available only for JPEG and TIFF file formats and not for PNG,
which is widely used by many of the users. the other issue is IPTC not
supporting hierarchical tags (as you pointed out) which prevents it
becoming the primary image metadata format.

renchi