[Digikam-devel] First proposal for IPTC interface

Heiner Lamprecht heiner at heiner-lamprecht.net
Mon Jul 25 20:27:43 BST 2005

On Monday 25 July 2005 18:44, Renchi Raju wrote:

> i had raised some issues about exiv2 when we had this discussion
> earlier:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10586240
>
> has there been any change in the issues which i raised my concern
> about:
> * internationalization support

Well, this is quite easy to solve.  I already discussed with Andreas
to add gettext support.

> * wide spread availability.
> * iptc becoming an obsolete format with a transition to xmp.

;-)  XMP is not wide spread, too.  It might become a future
standard, but how many applications make use of it today?

> additionally iptc is available only for JPEG and TIFF file
> formats and not for PNG, which is widely used by many of the
> users.

ACK

> the other issue is IPTC not supporting hierarchical tags
> (as you pointed out) which prevents it becoming the primary image
> metadata format.

But in opposite to EXIF it supports different types of meta data,
like location, ...

As for me, something like that is essential.  Adding a new tag for
every place I've ever made a photo at, is definitely not at all an
option.

In addition, I want to store all metadata within the imagefile and
don't want to use any external file.  Having the db file is okay as
an index for faster searching and filtering.  But in the end, the
primary has to be the image.  I don't like the idea to be bound to
any specific application.

So, what do you suggest?  How shall we go on?

    Heiner

--
    heiner at heiner-lamprecht dot net    GnuPG - Key: 9859E373
  Fingerprint:  3770 7947 F917 94EF 8717 BADB 0139 7554 9859 E373