[Digikam-devel] Usability review of tagging in Digikam 0.8

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 18 05:12:53 BST 2005

i will just go ahead and expand on joern's email (i have listed only those
items where there is disagreement).

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Joern Ahrens wrote:

> 1.3) no

When you click on a tag, it will show items which are in subtags. this
behavior has changed from the 0.7.x where showing items in subtags was
optional. i don't see any particular advantage in having Supertags
automatically assigned. Also, the tag names are shown in thumbnail and if
you have a lot of tag names (which will happen when you automatically
assign supertags).

2.1)

if you have some ideas about this later, we will be happy to hear
them.

> 3.3.1) no, now you're able to add a name to the tag and asign an icon in one
> step.

i have the same concern. moving it to inplace editing requires to do these
actions in two steps. and the tag creation dialog is consistent with other
"creation" dialogs (Albums/Search).

> 3.3.2) agree, but might be confusing to the user

here, i agree with Tina.

> 3.3.3) interesting, agree

i would also like to add a combobox at the bottom of tags frame, which
has a list of recently assigned tags which you can select quickly (usually
when you are tagging a bunch of photos, you most likely will be using
the same tags again and again and this provide quick access to them).

> 4) agree. adding a button to the toolbar might be a first solution. What do
> you think about an additional view in the image editor (hideable), where you
> can add tags, edit comment. Something like the "Edit & comments" dialog,
> but not as a modal view, but integrated in the image view.

what joern is referring to is a planned right sidebar view (similar to the
one in the main thumbnail window). also the context menu for the image
editor can have assign/remove tags similar to the thumbnail window.

renchi