[Digikam-devel] digikam 0.7.4 tarballs split

Caulier Gilles caulier.gilles at free.fr
Thu Jul 14 22:02:14 BST 2005

Le Jeudi 14 Juillet 2005 18:52, Renchi Raju a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Caulier Gilles wrote:
> > ... contents the compiled handbooks translated using .po files. In this
> > folder you not find .po files but .docbook files and translated
> > screenshots in PNG. This is very important !!! _This_ folder will be used
> > to include handbook pt_br translations in the tarballs. ...and this is
> > can be done only if the handbook compilation is done before on SVN
> > repository !!!
> >
> > About GUI translations, If you see in the tarball, you can find all .po
> > files who will built (.po to .mo file) during compilation, and then
> > installed in the system. This is the major difference between GUI and DOC
> > i18n rules.
> >
> > Finally, in all case, GUI are always included in tarballs, and only
> > pre-compiled handbooks.
> >
> > The question is : who pre-compile the handbooks ? Well normally the DOC
> > translation coordinators of the i18n teams. And this is done when KDE
> > repository is toggle in pre-final release accordingly with main KDE
> > coordinators !!!
> >
> > This way is different for apps included in extragear part, because
> > digikam release aren't synchronized with KDE release date !
>
> if i understand your email correctly, the po files in docmessages are used
> to update the index.docbook for the final translations and this is done
> automatically (by scripty, i believe).

Hum, no. The .po files are updated by scriptly. All  messages are extracted
from original index.docbook (in English)

The translated index.docbook are generated manually by main translator team
coordinator just before the final release date of KDE. This is done
_manually_ because there are always any problem to generate final docbook
files from .po files. Generally docbook are badly translated and XML synthax
is broken by translators (translators aren't programmers).

> And you are saying this is
> done only at KDE official release time.

yes, and sometimes after because handbooks creation is always a long task.
Sometimes the handbooks unavailable for a final KDE release are only
finalized at the next KDE release.

> according to the last commit by
> coolo in the following directory, the problem might have been fixed.
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n/pt_BR/docs/extragear-graphics/digikam/
> "our translation files are now indepedent on KDE releases and named
> localization..."
>
> but someone in the translation team can verify this.

Laurent have CC my mail to French KDE i18n team. Wait and see if we can have
more informations.