[Digikam-devel] SideBar support in ShowFoto and Image Editor

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Aug 16 09:39:46 BST 2005

On Montag 15 August 2005 23:05, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek 15 sierpień 2005 17:40, Rainer Krienke napisał:> I think
> this ist not true in all points. The histrogram view would be> better
> placed in a horizontal layout. For the exif data again more> people would
> probably prefer teh vertical layout since then you see more> of these data
> at a time. I as already described I would prefer the> horizontal layout
> even for EXIF, but this is my personal preference> motivated by the space
> otherwise wasted because of the 3:2 format of my> photos. Upgraded svn,
> compiled tarball, tested and made some mockups. Resultsare quite
> surprising. When panel will be moved to the bottom part of window it also
> has tohave its height. In effect image *cannot* be much bigger than
> withcurrent setup :))))) You are trading black strips above and below

How can this be? When I have the panel at the left side (vertical) then the
width for the photo to be displayed is reduced by the width of the panel. So
the photo becomes smaller if the photo is in landscape mode.  If the photo is
in protrait mode the displayed size of the photo should remain quite the same
with or without teh panel.

In case of a 3:2 landscape photo and the panel at the bottom (horizontal) the
space occupied by the panel can be taken from the blacks frames surrounding
the photo. So the dispay size of the photo should get only a little smaller
or remain the same depending on the vertical extension of the pane. In case
of a prortrait photo  you basically have the same problem like above but the
other way round.

Thats why I think its best to let the user determine the orientation of the
panel. And he should be able to determine the fontsize for text in the pane
to make it as little a useful for him (depending how good his eyes are :-) )

Anything I missed in my argumentation?

> imagefor black strips on the left and right :)))) This is for landscape,
> forportraits result is disastrous. Test done on 1024x768 but I suppose most
> people has similar proportionsof screen. Things can only be better on

I work with 1280x1024 and on one host with 1600x1200.

Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke at uni-koblenz.de, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html