[Digikam-devel] SideBar support in ShowFoto and Image Editor

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Tue Aug 16 11:56:55 BST 2005

Dnia wtorek 16 sierpień 2005 10:39, Rainer Krienke napisał:

> How can this be? When I have the panel at the left side (vertical) then
> the width for the photo to be displayed is reduced by the width of the
> panel. So the photo becomes smaller if the photo is in landscape mode.
> If the photo is in protrait mode the displayed size of the photo should
> remain quite the same with or without teh panel.
>
> In case of a 3:2 landscape photo and the panel at the bottom
> (horizontal) the space occupied by the panel can be taken from the
> blacks frames surrounding the photo. So the dispay size of the photo
> should get only a little smaller or remain the same depending on the
> vertical extension of the pane.

Yes. You gain nothing in terms of size of image which for me is only
reason to change (OK, not only - more below). Space occupied by
horizontal panel takes whole black strips height. This is only question
of aesthetics. Nothing is gained.

> In case of a prortrait photo  you
> basically have the same problem like above but the other way round.

No. In such situation portraits are losers. You gain nothing for
horizontal images and lost much for portraits. Overall result is loss.

> Thats why I think its best to let the user determine the orientation of
> the panel. And he should be able to determine the fontsize for text in
> the pane to make it as little a useful for him (depending how good his
> eyes are :-) )

The only gain would be possibility to have *two* open panels, one
vertical and one horizontal.

Small computation:

in 1024x768 image with full size of 2048x1365 with open panel has 575x380

Panels' tabs       20px
Panel             340
Image             575
Photostrip+scroll  90
                 ------
		 1025px <- small rounding :)
Decoration:       450px

Now, judging from design of panels it would require major design of
widgets panels cannot be smaller than 220px in height. So we have
elements of GUI

Kicker[1]          30px
Title bar          25
Menu bar           20
Tool bar           35
Status bar         20
Panels' tabs       20
Panel             220
                -------
		  370px

		  768-370=398px

In result image can be 585x398. Really tiny improvement. And check
effects for portraits instead of ca. 700px they have only half of that.

[1] I have small Kicker, By default it is bigger - even worse for image.

You have to do your own math.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net