Getting the Digest up-to-date and future work

Danny Allen danny at commit-digest.org
Thu Jan 6 03:48:20 CET 2011

Hi All (again!),
Now that the Enzyme interface is getting very close to being ready for you guys to take over day-to-day operations (as a team!), I want to start easing people into tasks that need doing on a weekly basis, both to catch up on past unreleased Digests, and into the future.

Here are a few tasks that need doing:

* As you can see in the new "Features" section, there are several ideas for articles, and two articles in production:
 a) Either claim an article and contact people, start getting it produced
 b) Add more good ideas for followup
 c) Proofread the existing articles, and when done, set the status to "Ready for selection". They can then be picked for the next Digest

* What is holding up release of the back issues is there are too many commits attached to each Digest (> 400).
  There should only be between about 100-170 commits in each issue, depending on how good the week is, so uninteresting commits like:
    - Compile fixes
    - Every new icon commit (keep a couple for representation)
    - and others that don't meet the classification guidelines

... which shouldn't have been selected originally, need to be removed manually. I've just added batch deletion features (checkboxes on items, then click the **floating delete button in the bottom right**), so it will be not as time consuming as before.

This needs to be done for all the digests at the top of the "Digests" section with a red button next to them (this means unpublished).

* Once the above step is done, it'd be great if someone could attempt to write the Digest synopsis for the issues. This is done by scanning through the commits, and copying a short summary of the interesting commits (keep a notepad open whilst scrolling!), then write them into a sensible order in the Synopsis box. I'll review and give advice here too.

So quite some work, but there are many of us now (and I used to do all this myself!).
Other people doing these tasks will free me to finish the rest of the Enzyme features, and also get the Digests out quickly, so please co-ordinate amongst yourselves on the list who will do what.

Thanks (and let me know your thoughts!),
Danny