T12815: Create Calligra Framework by separating out applications and libraries

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 14 17:40:48 GMT 2020

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   I sometimes find myself feeling this way about Frameworks too. A recent experience at a hackathon where I helped 8 students set up complete development environments from scratch reinforced this viewpoint. Not that I'm seriously recommending re-merging the frameworks, but I would like to challenge the notion that splitting a monolithic codebase across multiple repos is a boon to onboarding; I don't think it is. It may have other benefits, but I don't think onboarding is one of them.

  Apple were first to start calling their system libraries "frameworks" and they do have a nice feature that would address those issues. Something like the Accelerate framework is actually a collection of frameworks. You only specify the "interface" framework, and I *think* that "the system" figures out what to link. Of course they had to rewrite the linker driver (or linker itself) in order to understand how to deal with their framework bundles so they had every occasion to add some additional logic.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815