T12815: Create Calligra Framework by separating out applications and libraries

David Llewellyn-Jones noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 16 09:17:26 GMT 2020

davidllewellynjones added a comment.

  As a newcomer, and only occasional contributor, my experience of getting the build up and running is that it's already a daunting process, made tractable only because the instructions <https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building/3> are very good. Anything that simplifies these instructions is good, anything that complicates them is bad.

  If I'm honest, having everything in one repository probably made things simpler. I'm sure separate repos could be made easy too (e.g. using submodules), but also introduces more scope for errors that are difficult for an occasional contributor (i.e. me) to solve.

  In T12815#223419 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815#223419>, @dcaliste wrote:

  > But what I like in the proposition of @leinir is the target to separate the "engine" from the UI (_i.e._ the widgetery). As an example (hopefully not outdated), the "find" classes, the one to search and replace, are deeply liked to the widgets that control them. It makes it impossible to reuse these class in a UI different from the original one.

  Having said all that above, as a developer for Sailfish OS (but speaking personally), I would completely second @dcaliste's point. Whatever the delivery structure, better decoupling between components would make Calligra more flexible and usable in other contexts. The split between the chrome and the document rendering is a very clear case, and if splitting into repos helps reinforce this, then I'd support it.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815