T12815: Create Calligra Framework by separating out applications and libraries

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 14 15:33:18 GMT 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  In T12815#223428 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815#223428>, @rempt wrote:

  > As an aside, I think splitting up kdepim into so many repositories was a huge mistake. Listening to David Faure at the onboarding sprint only confirmed that opinion. Having to work on half a dozen repos to add a single feature to kmail sounds like hell to me. I think it would be a mistake for Calligra, too, but don't pay attention to me :-)

  I sometimes find myself feeling this way about Frameworks too. A recent experience at a hackathon where I helped 8 students set up complete development environments from scratch reinforced this viewpoint. Not that I'm seriously recommending re-merging the frameworks, but I would like to challenge the notion that splitting a monolithic codebase across multiple repos is a boon to onboarding; I don't think it is. It may have other benefits, but I don't think onboarding is one of them.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815