T12815: Create Calligra Framework by separating out applications and libraries

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 20:56:12 GMT 2020

What's the size of the .git directory of the calligra repo these days? I seem to recall it was what I thought really huge already in KDE4 days. Last time I tried git wouldn't let you push from a clone that didn't have the full history. And yes, for me there's a point where I consider the value of my few and smallish contributions don't justify wasting "that much" disk space on what's literally old history.

FWIW, KDevelop moved in the opposite direction, pulled their "framework" bit (kdevplatform) with the other code into a single repo. Which, incidentally, made it harder to build only select parts (plugins), just like you cannot really build only a specific Calligra component against installed versions of the library components (last I checked).
Not that that's a necessary implication but it's a bit tricky to write a build system that can build against either just-build libraries or against the installed copies.