T12815: Create Calligra Framework by separating out applications and libraries

Pino Toscano noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 13 21:37:22 GMT 2020

pino added a comment.

  In T12815#223360 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815#223360>, @rjvbb wrote:

  > What's the size of the .git directory of the calligra repo these days?

    $ du -hcs .git/
    778M    .git/

  Few notes from a person that did few commits in the past, and current maintainer of Calligra in Debian:

  - seriously, 13 repositories? note that LO went in the opposite direction, and such a huge amount of sources just to get Calligra built is a hell of work
  - calligra-author is dead since Calligra 3.0... (not even in git/master)
  - calligra-braindump is sort of dead even in 2.9; "ported" to 3.0 as "unmaintained", hard-disabled it 3.1; better alternatives exist
  - why calligra-plugins and calligra-extra-filters? they would require all the other apps/libraries to build, and it would make sense to simply place the filters/plugins of each application together with each application
  - calligra-frameworks-base and calligra-components split? to me the latter is the QML version of the former, so it would make sense to make just one repository with the Calligra libraries

  In addition, a more general question: what is the goal of all of this?
  I think that splitting just for the sake of splitting is counter-productive (you need to invest a lot of resources to get the split parts to build and interact).

  And, who is going to contribute to Calligra? No, I'm not trying to provoke or anything, I'm asking seriously:

  - there is barely somebody that did 3.0/3.1 releases in the last 3 years
  - not many commits not related to "making it build with newer poppler/gcc/qt/etc"
  - barely new features...

  And who is going to maintain all of this?

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T12815