Merge window before the port starts

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Sun Jan 25 11:18:44 GMT 2015

On Sunday 25 January 2015 11:59:39 Inge Wallin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you have probably seen I have two patches that I deem mature on the
> review board right now. These are branches that have been Ok'ed and are
> ready to merge. And I know that there are others with similar branches
> laying around. It would be a pity to let them bitrot more than necessary.
>
> I talked with Cyrille on IRC and he suggested that we open a merge window
> just before the port starts.  The merge window should be very short (1-2
> days only) and only for patches and branches that are:
>  - Well tested and reviewed
>  - Finished in some sense - no work in progress
>
> He asked me to propose this on the ML, which I hereby do, and to forward his
> support for the idea.
>
> I, myself, see no reason why we cannot open master for patches of this type
> already now, but I will let you decide whether opening master now or wait
> for a merge window is the best way forward.

I support this idea, but only in order to save work that would otherwise be
lost due to bit rot. So it should not be a free for all to put in some new
features. If the work you have laying around can easily be saved after the
porting then I think it's better to wait until 3.1 (I hope 3.0 should be the
shortest release cycle ever, so 3.1 will not be far behind)

For 2 reasons  i think we shouldn't open up already:
 - it is a save-your-work kind of window
 - the longer we wait the more time people will have to polish their saved wor
for better quality.

That said i'm not opposed to a 1 day window already if people have finished
work.

I also think we should have people list right now what work they want to save
and what the status of said work is so we know how much we are talking about.

best regards
Camilla