Merge window before the port starts

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jan 25 12:59:57 GMT 2015

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015, Inge Wallin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you have probably seen I have two patches that I deem mature on the review
> board right now. These are branches that have been Ok'ed and are ready to
> merge. And I know that there are others with similar branches laying around.
> It would be a pity to let them bitrot more than necessary.
>
> I talked with Cyrille on IRC and he suggested that we open a merge window just
> before the port starts.  The merge window should be very short (1-2 days only)
> and only for patches and branches that are:
> - Well tested and reviewed
> - Finished in some sense - no work in progress
>
> He asked me to propose this on the ML, which I hereby do, and to forward his
> support for the idea.

Well, I agree with that.

> I, myself, see no reason why we cannot open master for patches of this type
> already now, but I will let you decide whether opening master now or wait for
> a merge window is the best way forward.

Two reasons:

1. it may make merging fixes to 2.9 harder
2. there's no hurry -- we should be focusing on getting 2.9 released, not
on what we'll do after 2.9. Those branches aren't bit rotting, if you're
afraid changes in 2.9 will affed the branch, you can just merge 2.9 into
the branches

Boudewijn