After 2.9.7

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat Aug 29 07:15:41 BST 2015

On Friday 28 August 2015 15:43:12 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Well, we started the discussion with the idea that making separate repos
> for the libraries and applications was going to be useful. That rather
> soon turned into a discussion of the problems we have making our libraries
> fit for purpose for all applications, and that turned into "why should,
> e.g., words and the libraries be in a separate repo, it's only a lot of
> hassle".
>
> And that's where the discussion stopped, so I wrote this mail to re-engage
> the discussion.

I think the problems raised during that discussion were more:

1) How to keep the repositories in sync?
2) Who will fix breakage in applications?

I think Friedrich email from yesterday gives a reasonably good solution for
1).

As for 2), the biggest problem is for unmaintained applications. But there, I
think we have to take the hard decision of simply killing those applications,
and keep the focus on applications that have people who care about them. And
then, for small changes, it is up to maintainers to adjust their applications.
Bigger changes should be more coordinated.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott