After 2.9.7

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Aug 29 08:37:55 BST 2015

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> On Friday 28 August 2015 15:43:12 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> Well, we started the discussion with the idea that making separate repos
>> for the libraries and applications was going to be useful. That rather
>> soon turned into a discussion of the problems we have making our libraries
>> fit for purpose for all applications, and that turned into "why should,
>> e.g., words and the libraries be in a separate repo, it's only a lot of
>> hassle".
>>
>> And that's where the discussion stopped, so I wrote this mail to re-engage
>> the discussion.
>
> I think the problems raised during that discussion were more:
>
> 1) How to keep the repositories in sync?
> 2) Who will fix breakage in applications?
>
> I think Friedrich email from yesterday gives a reasonably good solution for
> 1).
>
> As for 2), the biggest problem is for unmaintained applications. But there, I
> think we have to take the hard decision of simply killing those applications,
> and keep the focus on applications that have people who care about them. And
> then, for small changes, it is up to maintainers to adjust their applications.
> Bigger changes should be more coordinated.

I am fine with either solution. If splitting off koofdf, kostore and
other libraries into "frameworks" means we can continue sharing them,
that would be good. If not, I can live with forking the libraries...

But before I come up with a proposal and start doing the split-off work,
I'd like a real go- ahead :-)

Boudewwijn