discussion on stable xml:id in odf implementations

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Tue Mar 5 17:13:27 GMT 2013

Hello Jos,

> A number of elements in ODF documents can have an attribute xml:id. This
> attribute is taken from the W3C xml:id recommendation [1]. It can be
> used on 32 different types of ODF 1.2 elements like text:p and
> text:meta. Each occurrance of xml:id within one XML document should have
> a unique value. Other parts of the ODF document can refer to the
> elements that have an xml:id. Examples are text:continue-list and
> text:change-id and many shape related attributes. In addition, RDF
> statements are linked to document parts by xml:id. Calligra is using
> xml:id in many places.

due to the way calligra handles text and all that I think keeping stable
xml:id elements might be very hard to implement as we keep no references to
any of the xml that we load. Also I'm not sure that the examples given if
something like this should be required. I see no problem if some
implementation keep the xml:id but to make it a requirement I'm not so sure I
would want to implement it as there are no direct benefits for callirga as far
as I can see.

That is purely my opinion on the subject and feel free to ignore.

Thorsten