discussion on stable xml:id in odf implementations

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 5 13:22:26 GMT 2013

Thanks for the update! I think that for Calligra, we should probably try to move to stable xml:id's. The current regenerating solution has given us problems more than once and is, code-wise, counter-intuitive, I feel. However, it's not going to be something really simple to fix, and it's in a part of our codebase that only sporadically receives maintenance.

On Monday 04 March 2013 Mar, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A number of elements in ODF documents can have an attribute xml:id. This
> attribute is taken from the W3C xml:id recommendation [1]. It can be
> used on 32 different types of ODF 1.2 elements like text:p and
> text:meta. Each occurrance of xml:id within one XML document should have
> a unique value. Other parts of the ODF document can refer to the
> elements that have an xml:id. Examples are text:continue-list and
> text:change-id and many shape related attributes. In addition, RDF
> statements are linked to document parts by xml:id. Calligra is using
> xml:id in many places.
>
> A discussion in the ODF Technical Committee has been started [2] to see
> if the ODF specification should recommend ODF editors to use stable
> xml:id values. A stable xml:id would mean that when a document is
> loaded, edited and saved, the xml:id values in the changed document
> should be the same as in the original document, where possible.
>
> OpenOffice has a wiki page where a number of Writer editing scenarios
> are discussed.
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Metadata_Support
>
> The discussion in the ODF TC is quite subtle. At the moment there are
> very few requirements in the specification about loading and saving
> behaviour. The specification gives meaning to the different parts of a
> documents but makes no relation between the document before loading and
> the document after saving (except for the case of change tracking).
>
> There are a number of options [3] on how this goes forward. It is not
> likely that ODF 1.3 will require stable xml:id values, but having stable
> xml:id values will give an application an advantageous feature.
>
> Cheers,
> Jos
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-id/
> [2] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201302/msg00013.html