Calligra 3.0 for Qt 5.1?

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Tue Jul 30 12:07:54 BST 2013

The choice is rather clear to me.

Jolla is sponsoring a substantial porting effort - just for them or for us as
well - do we really want to let that disappear into just an experiment - it
will take us years to port at another time if done as a community effort.

yes we would want to have kf5 technology where it makes sense, but in order to
avoid the jolla sponsored porting to bit rot I think an approach of creating
stubs (kdefake) so we can later start using kf5 technology makes sense.

it's not like remote loading is being used by a whole lot of people - yes sure
some will be and eventually we would want it back where we can, but should
this really prevent us from accepting the porting effort paid by jolla.

Now as to which branch to use etc. I clearly recall the qt4/kde4 porting - it
dragged on because things were not ready, but certainly also because we were
still working on the qt3/kde3 version at the same time. I'd like to avoid that
by having all accept that the qt5 port is our place of development - call it
master or newmaster - as long as we don't have concurrent development, because
in the end that will just slow us down.

And the slowing down happens if we have to spend tme on regularly porting
features back and forth. So that is why I strongly believe we do it in master
and let the resposibility of features being merged in be on the shoulders of
those that develop the feature.

If we need to fix urgent bugs in 2.7 we can still do that in the release
branch. No need to keep master around for that.

It's not because a qt4 and qt5 version of calligra looks all that different, so
most porting of new features will be easy enough, but let's try and help
ourselves by accepting the qt5 porting work, and make it happen as fast and as
trouble free as possible.

When we switch we want to do it as fast as possible, even if it means
disabling some kde stuff, and leaving an application or two behind. Once we are
back to something that is good enough we can work on restoring what we left
behind. But also at this point people can start doing feature work against
master again etc. This minimizes the trouble.

For me the choice is clear, I want to move Words to qt5 ASAP.  That said
XMLGUI is a prerequisite - I don't want to move to some components based ui
and I won't want to spend huge amounts of time inventing something new. But a
temporary copy would be good enough for me as long as the apps still work as
before. A better solution can then be found afterwards.

Camilla