RFC: Bumping min. KDE Platform version to 4.6.0

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jan 28 19:19:21 GMT 2013

On Monday, January 28, 2013 19:33:22 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi Inge,
>
> Am Montag, 28. Januar 2013, 11:36:32 schrieb Inge Wallin:
> > On Sunday, January 27, 2013 17:28:11 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > while I was working on sheets/plugins/calendar/CalendarTool.cpp to fix
> > > the code for the "deprecated!" warnings in there I wondered why we
> > > still depend
> > > on KDE 4.3 as minimum platform, especially now that the min. required
> > > Qt version has been bumped to Qt 4.7
> > >
> > > Questions:
> > > * is anybody known to rely on a KDE Platform <4.6?
> > > * is known if the KDE Platform <4.6 works okayish with Qt 4.7?
> >
> > I am using KDE 4.5.2.  I have built my own Qt 4.8.
> >
> > And yes, it works quite well.
>
> Hm. Strange combination, surely not often seen. :)

Yeah. The reason I built my own Qt was because Calligra upped the required
version to 4.6. :)

> And am quite surprised to read that. May I ask why you are still on 4.5.2
> (and missing out all the improvements, bug and security fixes for almost 2
> 1/2 years)?

Mostly because I haven't taken the time to upgrade.  As soon as I get an
external hard disk that I can use for backup I'm going to upgrade to OpenSUSE.

> Especially as your personal setup so far seems to be the only reason to
> still stick with 4.3 as min. KDE dependency.
> And now forcing me to do a patch to bloat our code with many more #if
> KDE_IS_VERSION..., to reduce the currently still insane amount of compiler
> warnings some more. :(
>
> Do you have any plans to upgrade your system in the next time? Or do you
> have any server process running on your system of whose uptime you are
> proud? ;)

No, this is my laptop so no server processes.  And yes, I want to upgrade ASAP
actually (see above). Maybe I can do that while I'm in Germany next week. :)

Regarding the main question... I'm not against the upping of the required KDE
version per se.  But I'm a little worried about the general notion that you
need a late version of the OS to run a late version of an application.  MS has
been so very successful partly because they acknowledge that people in reality
are running old versions.

Many people, hackers especially, upgrade all the time. But many people who
just want to use their computers and not fiddle with them do not.

	-Inge