RFC: Bumping min. KDE Platform version to 4.6.0

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Jan 28 18:33:22 GMT 2013

Hi Inge,

Am Montag, 28. Januar 2013, 11:36:32 schrieb Inge Wallin:
> On Sunday, January 27, 2013 17:28:11 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > while I was working on sheets/plugins/calendar/CalendarTool.cpp to fix the
> > code for the "deprecated!" warnings in there I wondered why we still
> > depend
> > on KDE 4.3 as minimum platform, especially now that the min. required Qt
> > version has been bumped to Qt 4.7
> >
> > Questions:
> > * is anybody known to rely on a KDE Platform <4.6?
> > * is known if the KDE Platform <4.6 works okayish with Qt 4.7?
>
> I am using KDE 4.5.2.  I have built my own Qt 4.8.
>
> And yes, it works quite well.

Hm. Strange combination, surely not often seen. :)

And am quite surprised to read that. May I ask why you are still on 4.5.2 (and
missing out all the improvements, bug and security fixes for almost 2 1/2
years)?

Especially as your personal setup so far seems to be the only reason to still
stick with 4.3 as min. KDE dependency.
And now forcing me to do a patch to bloat our code with many more #if
KDE_IS_VERSION..., to reduce the currently still insane amount of compiler
warnings some more. :(

Do you have any plans to upgrade your system in the next time? Or do you have
any server process running on your system of whose uptime you are proud? ;)

Cheers
Friedrich