RFC: Bumping min. KDE Platform version to 4.6.0

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 29 09:49:44 GMT 2013

On 28.01.2013 20:19, Inge Wallin wrote:
> Regarding the main question... I'm not against the upping of the required KDE
> version per se.  But I'm a little worried about the general notion that you
> need a late version of the OS to run a late version of an application.  MS has
> been so very successful partly because they acknowledge that people in reality
> are running old versions.

Yes, but Microsoft also regularly gets into a whole lot of trouble
because of that, and it costs them tremendous amounts of resources to
support that much legacy stuff. Resources the KDE community doesn't
necessarily have.

> Many people, hackers especially, upgrade all the time. But many people who
> just want to use their computers and not fiddle with them do not.

What may make sense is looking at the oldest versions of major distros
which are still supported (my guess is that you can't get older then
Debian, though ;) ) and try not to bump the minimum required KDE
Platform and Qt versions higher than the ones they use. If a
distribution isn't officially supported anymore, Calligra doesn't need
to support it either.

This would be a very conservative approach, though. I guess it's rather
unlikely that people running Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS would wont to
run current Calligra but not current KDE.