Mac OS X - quo vadis calligra, calligraconverter

t.zachmann at zagge.de t.zachmann at zagge.de
Thu May 31 06:10:53 BST 2012

Hello,

sorry for top posting but I only have my phone with me.
I only know for presentations that the files converted do show up with wrong colors in LO due to LO assuming some defaults Calligra does not. Not sure about the other filters. If we want to promote the tool for the described usecase we should make sure these problems are fixed as otherwise all we will get is people complaining.

--
Thorsten

On 30/05/2012 17:43 matus.uzak at gmail.com wrote:

Hi again,

> And iWork sucks at that? After all they claim support*. Or is too expensive? I
> would have guessed that iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) is the natural choice
> on OS X. Hm, all already 3 years old? So I guess they just suck to a degree :)
> Or have a too unfamiliar interface/UX, compared to what people are trained to.
> All guess work here.
>
> * http://www.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/

People I have asked claim that OOo/LO does a much better job in means
of compatibility with MS Office.

I have collected a bunch of files in MS binary file formats created by
iWorks that our filters classify as invalid
and most of those can't be opened in MS Office 2003. MS Office 2007
does a better job because input filters
were improved. I have spent some time analyzing those and came to a
conclusion that it's not worth to spent
time on processing such invalid files at the moment. I can only
generalize about the quality OOXML compatibility
based on my experience with binary file formats. I don't have access
to iWorks to analyze it's export filters on test data.

>> Then I mentioned calligraconverter to people working at science
>> academy and university.  They were impressed
>> that there's a command line tool enabling them batch conversions and
>> can be included into scripts.
>
> Did they also mention what would be their typical use cases for this tool?

They usually have a bunch of files in MS file formats in a shared
repository, so they could do batch conversion to ODF.
And of course convert OOXML to ODF locally and continue using OOo/LO
until especially Words are ready for everyday use
of the whole population. :)

We claim that "Calligra import filters for docx/xlsx/pptx are the best
free translations tools available anywhere.", [2] and we should build
on this and promote it better to attract potential sponsors. A
separate calligraconverter package would make a good start.
It would mean that people don't need to install the whole calligra
suite. Can we consider this as a drawback?

[2] http://www.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/

-matus

kossebau at kde.org
http://www.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/