[calligra] /: Move core parts of KexiDB lib to libcalligradb

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Fri Jul 13 09:25:48 BST 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 10:07:28 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 13 July 2012 Jul, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > On 13 July 2012 01:12, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
> > > No, it's a hard dependency for Words/kotext, but for CREATIVEONLY I
> > > have no objection, though it will mean that there will be no textshape
> > > either (well I guess it can be ifdef'ed)
> >
> > True. So is the Biblio feature really so tied to kotext?
> > If our aim is to provide ODF handling libs, Calligra Engine(s), maybe
> > we could add config option to switch it off for fine grained control
> > (like Qt does when you can switch off even 'fundamental' features,
> > e.g. tooltips -QT_NO_TOOLTIP- or cursors) -- for those who really know
> > what they're doing.
> >
> > Then we could craft what happens when SHOULD_BUILD_CALLIGRADB if
FALSE
> > (disables the Biblio, Words, limits kotext (not sure, if you agree
> > here?), disables Kexi, disables any data handling plugin in other apps
> > such (in the future) a Sheets' data connectivity plugin, or future
> > Mailmerge feature in Words.
> >
> > Flexibility is a +1, but one -1 (besides adding further complexity to
> > cmake files) is that these build profiles should only be used for
> > custom builds. We don't want stripped-down Word in the popular
> > distros, for example, not being able to handle the Biblio feature.
>
> Doing this through cmake is the wrong approach. Heavy dependencies like
> this have to be plugins, so applications other than Words can blacklist
> them. I already get enough flak for what apt-get install krita drags in on
> *buntu.
>
> Distributions will always package nearly everything, but might be smart
> enough to not make every words plugin's dependencies required for every
> other calligra app.
Well there is more to it than that here.

There is the library that is added, which adds the dependencies. That library
is in calligralibs as it will be used by both kexi and words.

Even if it's not words but a plugin that uses this library, the library is
still needed, and thus the dependency. And a library is already a plugin, so
the real problem is the way that distros package calligralibs as one.

if instead of one package they packaged calligraflake, calligradb etc then only
kexi and words/biblioplugin would have to depend on calligradb

There is nothing in our makefiles that make krita depend on calligradb. At
least not afaik. Or if there is it should be fixed.

Boemann