[calligra] /: Move core parts of KexiDB lib to libcalligradb

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jul 13 09:07:28 BST 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 Jul, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 13 July 2012 01:12, C. Boemann <cbo at boemann.dk> wrote:
>
> > No, it's a hard dependency for Words/kotext, but for CREATIVEONLY I have no
> > objection, though it will mean that there will be no textshape either (well I
> > guess it can be ifdef'ed)
>
> True. So is the Biblio feature really so tied to kotext?
> If our aim is to provide ODF handling libs, Calligra Engine(s), maybe
> we could add config option to switch it off for fine grained control
> (like Qt does when you can switch off even 'fundamental' features,
> e.g. tooltips -QT_NO_TOOLTIP- or cursors) -- for those who really know
> what they're doing.
>
> Then we could craft what happens when SHOULD_BUILD_CALLIGRADB if FALSE
> (disables the Biblio, Words, limits kotext (not sure, if you agree
> here?), disables Kexi, disables any data handling plugin in other apps
> such (in the future) a Sheets' data connectivity plugin, or future
> Mailmerge feature in Words.
>
> Flexibility is a +1, but one -1 (besides adding further complexity to
> cmake files) is that these build profiles should only be used for
> custom builds. We don't want stripped-down Word in the popular
> distros, for example, not being able to handle the Biblio feature.

Doing this through cmake is the wrong approach. Heavy dependencies like this have to be plugins, so applications other than Words can blacklist them. I already get enough flak for what apt-get install krita drags in on *buntu.

Distributions will always package nearly everything, but might be smart enough to not make every words plugin's dependencies
required for every other calligra app.

--
Boudewijn Rempt