An other beta

Thorsten Zachmann t.zachmann at zagge.de
Sun Feb 12 02:52:36 GMT 2012

On Saturday, February 11, 2012 21:35:51 Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Feb 2012, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > You say in Words undo and redo is broken? Disable those features.
> > Disable cut, copy and paste.
>
> I doubt you could release a word processor as stable without those features
> in 1992, and I am rather convinced that anything that call itself a word
> processor can't be released as stable (even for very early birds) in 2012.
> Not possible. RDF and changetracking can be disabled, undo/redo, cut, copy
> and paste, not possible.
>
> I tend to agree that we need to release ASAP, I don't know if one more beta
> is "ASAP"-enough. I do worry that a big refactor in the undo stack would
> have a lot of conscequences in other applications, though, and could lead
> to further delay, I assumed the sprint was a bug fixing sprint. I will let
> boemann and Pierre comment on how much changes they are planning to do.
>
> I see three alternatives:
>
> 1) we continue with the betas until word/stage are considered ready
> 2) is a variation of 1) where we branch right now
> 3) we mark in big letters that word/stage are "Technical Preview", while
> the mature and semi-mature apps (braindump, flow, karbon, kexi, krita,
> table) gets into the hands of their users
>
> Personnaly, if we are certain that one more beta is enough, then I will go
> with option 1). I don't like "option 2)" at all (especially if there is
> deep surgery) since it is very likely that the 2.4-branch would be
> bitrotting, and it does not help to get the mature applications in the
> hand of their users. So if 1) is not a good option, I would go for option
> 3).

I agree with all what was said if it was Boemann, Cyrille or Boudewijn. I
would propose the following:

Do one more Beta. We most likely will get the most stuff fixed but obviously not
all. Release it. Bring a 2.5.1 out at least one month after 2.5.0 to fix again
as much as possible. And go on with this scheme. of releasing monthly bug fix
updates.

With that it should be possible to improve the text layout and don't kill the
energy in the project.

Thorsten