An other beta

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 00:01:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Cyrille Berger Skott
<cberger at cberger.net>wrote:

> On Saturday 11 Feb 2012, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > You say in Words undo and redo is broken? Disable those features.
> > Disable cut, copy and paste.
>
> I doubt you could release a word processor as stable without those
> features in
> 1992, and I am rather convinced that anything that call itself a word
> processor can't be released as stable (even for very early birds) in 2012.
> Not
> possible. RDF and changetracking can be disabled, undo/redo, cut, copy and
> paste, not possible.
>
> I tend to agree that we need to release ASAP, I don't know if one more
> beta is
> "ASAP"-enough. I do worry that a big refactor in the undo stack would have
> lot of conscequences in other applications, though, and could lead to
> further
> delay, I assumed the sprint was a bug fixing sprint. I will let boemann and
> Pierre comment on how much changes they are planning to do.
>
> I see three alternatives:
>
> 1) we continue with the betas until word/stage are considered ready
> 2) is a variation of 1) where we branch right now
> 3) we mark in big letters that word/stage are "Technical Preview", while
> the
> mature and semi-mature apps (braindump, flow, karbon, kexi, krita, table)
> gets
> into the hands of their users
>
> Personnaly, if we are certain that one more beta is enough, then I will go
> with option 1). I don't like "option 2)" at all (especially if there is
> deep
> surgery) since it is very likely that the 2.4-branch would be bitrotting,
> and
> it does not help to get the mature applications in the hand of their
> users. So
> if 1) is not a good option, I would go for option 3).

We should be aware of the negative PR implications that release Calligra
with Words/Stage will bring. This will be the first release, so there will
be some news reports about. Releasing the suite without the word processor
is a no-go, unless there is absolutely no other way. Old KOffice was often
criticized for not good enough quality.

>From the discussion on IRC the two last big problem seem to be undo and
xml:id duplication. So far it's not clear how long each of the tasks takes,
so far I only cautious estimatate for the first was two weeks while the
later was closer to be finished. Since Casper and Pierre are meeting next
week, I would suggest that the final decision is postponed till then.

We all want get the release out as soon as possible. But keep in mind that
this release is what get into the next Kubuntu and Fedora release and will
stick for the next months. I think we can do one more beta if needed, but
that is the maximum. Think positive, the next release after that will much
faster.