An other beta

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Feb 11 10:02:02 GMT 2012

On Saturday 11 February 2012 Feb, C. Boemann wrote:

> I do believe another beta will help, as I've arranged a mini sprint with
> PierreSt in Munich on the 19th-22nd
>
> As for killing development I'm prepared to branch of a release branch and we
> will work in that. But I also think the bugs Pierre and I are going to fix are
> so important that at least Words should not be released with this bug still
> there (and no it's not about changetracking nor rdf, but rather simple undo of
> paste and delete).

If you now need a sprint to fix undo and redo, that sounds like major surgery, and that is not fixing bugs, it's rewriting components and hoping bugs will be fixed as a result. I think we have to release, to ship, and then we have to sit down and make a real plan to fix what is really broken. You say in Words undo and redo is broken? Disable those features. Disable cut, copy and paste.

I really don't believe that another month of slippage will make Words suddenly Good Enough. We have had _seven_ beta releases already, following on a bunch of monthly snapshots. Eight beta's won't fix what seven beta's didn't fix. But this slipping of the schedule is killing us, and not just because everyone wants to start fixing stuff deep down or doing new features -- it is not having a release that's dragging everyone down.

--
Boudewijn Rempt