An other beta

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Sat Feb 11 20:35:51 GMT 2012

On Saturday 11 Feb 2012, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> You say in Words undo and redo is broken? Disable those features.
> Disable cut, copy and paste.

I doubt you could release a word processor as stable without those features in
1992, and I am rather convinced that anything that call itself a word
processor can't be released as stable (even for very early birds) in 2012. Not
possible. RDF and changetracking can be disabled, undo/redo, cut, copy and
paste, not possible.

I tend to agree that we need to release ASAP, I don't know if one more beta is
"ASAP"-enough. I do worry that a big refactor in the undo stack would have a
lot of conscequences in other applications, though, and could lead to further
delay, I assumed the sprint was a bug fixing sprint. I will let boemann and
Pierre comment on how much changes they are planning to do.

I see three alternatives:

1) we continue with the betas until word/stage are considered ready
2) is a variation of 1) where we branch right now
3) we mark in big letters that word/stage are "Technical Preview", while the
mature and semi-mature apps (braindump, flow, karbon, kexi, krita, table) gets
into the hands of their users

Personnaly, if we are certain that one more beta is enough, then I will go
with option 1). I don't like "option 2)" at all (especially if there is deep
surgery) since it is very likely that the 2.4-branch would be bitrotting, and
it does not help to get the mature applications in the hand of their users. So
if 1) is not a good option, I would go for option 3).

--
Cyrille Berger Skott