on Words

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Fri Oct 14 15:26:54 BST 2011

> I suggest that we will target the university student. Meaning we should be
> able to view MS Word documents and be able to create from scratch reports
> and dissertations.

Now that you mentioned university students…
I recently got the thesis of a friend to review. It's large (166 pages, including images,
tables, footnotes, etc.) and Calligra Words can neither open her original MS .doc file nor
the .odt file converted via LibreOffice. CW always hangs at 95%.

After I've read that mail, I tried other documents that are public (I don't have
permission to publish her thesis):
The ODF 1.2-part2 (OpenFormula) specs
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/cd05/OpenDocument-v1.2-cd05-part2.odt> succeed but
hang right after the first page displays.

As biggest extreme I tried to open a docx file from the OOXML specifications
<http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm> – “ECMA-376 1st
edition Part 4” (Office Open XML Part 4 - Markup Language Reference.docx) to be exact.
That one caused CW to hang at 92%.

If you want to set university use as goal for the sprint, successfully opening 100+ pages
files could be one task.