on Words

Jaroslaw Staniek staniek at kde.org
Fri Oct 14 15:49:48 BST 2011

On 14 October 2011 16:26, Markus Slopianka <markus.s at kdemail.net> wrote:
>> I suggest that we will target the university student. Meaning we should be
>> able to view MS Word documents and be able to create from scratch reports
>> and dissertations.
>
> Now that you mentioned university students…

Showing use cases/actors like students or researchers is good. But I
propose to demonstrate given requirements the we want to meet.
What means, as you said, supporting large documents of any purpose.

Why?

For students I think we have to be MUCH better and give the PREMIUM
features they NEED to have them even consider Calligra Words.
Price does not matter. That is because so many of them have MS Office
for free using the Academic License agreements in _many_ counties.
Of course I know already we offer the PREMIUM thing but it is relevant
only if the users value openness or standards (frankly - based on what
I observe in my country, they _mostly_ don't, come on).

So again, whoever wants efficiency and stability on large documents
could be the target. A lot of work however in terms of optimization
and UI. But thanks to Casper's work it's possible.

I must shamelessly admit that targeting because of price is much
easier for Kexi (and Plan). This is because MSO Home & Student
contains no Access. (But Academic licensing still does it, IIRC).

To check what the reality is, we would have to start voluntary User
Feedback program (yes, spying!), what is becoming my plan for Kexi at
least.

Moreover, we never know what features are used by (for example)
students, so focusing on students would not set priorities in our
features TODO list. Again, the User Feedback could help here.

Given we have so small resources, any (semi-)automatic means for
getting real usage data is valuable.

my 2c

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek