on Words

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Wed Oct 12 06:31:39 BST 2011

On 10/11/2011 01:44 PM, Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:

>         kotext, textlayout, textshape, words division of responsibilities
>         ------------------------------ ------------------------------
>         -----------------------
>         We should come up with a plan for how we want the code
>         structured in the long
>         run. We've come a long way already, but we should discuss what
>         further things
>         we can do.
>
>     Long-term I would like to make it easy to extend Calligra Active with
>     editing capabilities. That means our libraries and the functionality
>     provided by Words can be reused for other UI's like the QML-based
>     Active-UI, an alternate desktop-UI (think of a kids interface or an
>     interface specialized on other use-cases or an interface for different
>     form factors or one for star trek fans or whatever crazy and/or
>     innovative things a developer likes to do build up with our
>     frameworks).
>
>         KoTextEditor hacking
>         ---------------------------
>         I'd like a hacking session where we start extending the
>         functionality of
>         KoTextEditor.
>
>     What is the goal? I mean what exactly do we like to change/extend
>     in what direction? I ask cause that is not clear to me if it comes to
>     the concrete code. Maybe it's not defined yet what will be part of
>     the sprint-session?
>

> The above two points are on the agenda of the sprint in our brainstorm
> session about textshape/textlayout/kotext architecture.
Great to read :-)

>     I btw will not attend the sprint but I can participate online :)
>
> Arf, it's too bad you can't be here. It would be real good if there
> could be a way to have you live at least with sound (both directions),
> ideally with video (at least from us to you).
I've a working Skype-setup so that shouldn't be a problem. Ideally we
could record/broadcast so others could participate/inform themselfs too
but I am not sure what Software to use for that :-/

>         Changetracking
>         --------------------
>         I'd like a brainstorm on how we proceed on change tracking.
>         The current state
>         leaves much to be desired.
>
>     Identify problems and put them into bugzilla? But yes, that will not
>     magically fix them. At least it would be a start and provide more
>     details what exactly still leaves much to be desired.
>
> Well, there are bugs/fundamental design restrictions (mostly related
> to deleted stuff) and there is the odf1.1/1.2 tiny difference in spec.
Ah, interesting to know. That means that the sponsored work on getting
change-tracking into Calligra brings fruits on the table cause it
identifies points of weakness. A nice example why standards should be
implemented in an open and libre community.