on Words

Pierre Stirnweiss pstirnweiss at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:44:48 BST 2011

> kotext, textlayout, textshape, words division of responsibilities
>> -----------------------
>> We should come up with a plan for how we want the code structured in the
>> long
>> run. We've come a long way already, but we should discuss what further
>> things
>> we can do.
>>

> Long-term I would like to make it easy to extend Calligra Active with
> editing capabilities. That means our libraries and the functionality
> provided by Words can be reused for other UI's like the QML-based
> Active-UI, an alternate desktop-UI (think of a kids interface or an
> interface specialized on other use-cases or an interface for different
> form factors or one for star trek fans or whatever crazy and/or
> innovative things a developer likes to do build up with our
> frameworks).
>

>  KoTextEditor hacking
>> ---------------------------
>> I'd like a hacking session where we start extending the functionality of
>> KoTextEditor.
>>

> What is the goal? I mean what exactly do we like to change/extend
> in what direction? I ask cause that is not clear to me if it comes to
> the concrete code. Maybe it's not defined yet what will be part of
> the sprint-session?

The above two points are on the agenda of the sprint in our brainstorm
session about textshape/textlayout/kotext architecture.

> I btw will not attend the sprint but I can participate online :)
>
> Arf, it's too bad you can't be here. It would be real good if there could
be a way to have you live at least with sound (both directions), ideally
with video (at least from us to you).

>  Changetracking
>> I'd like a brainstorm on how we proceed on change tracking. The current
>> state
>> leaves much to be desired.
>>
> Identify problems and put them into bugzilla? But yes, that will not
> magically fix them. At least it would be a start and provide more
> details what exactly still leaves much to be desired.
>
> Well, there are bugs/fundamental design restrictions (mostly related to
deleted stuff) and there is the odf1.1/1.2 tiny difference in spec.

PierreSt